Founded in 1958, C.A. Nacional de Grasas Lubricantes (CANGL) started operations in 1960 and manufactured lubricating greases for international oil companies operating in Venezuela at that time. Production of lubricant oils commenced in 1963. In 1973, the Venezuelan government enacted the law that reserves the national hydrocarbons market to the Venezuelan state through Corporación Venezolana del Petróleo (CVP) [Venezuelan Petroleum Corporation]. CANGL continued to manufacture lubricants for state-owned oil companies while marketing its Venoco brand in the export market.
In 1993, the Venezuelan government let other companies operate in the domestic market, and the Venoco brand re-entered the Venezuelan market. In 1994, Mobil International Petroleum Corporation (now ExxonMobil) bought 50% of CANGL’s shares from Industrias Venoco, C.A. and CANGL went on to manufacture the Mobil and Venoco brands, which were distributed separately by Mobil and Venoco. In 2007, Venoco bought ExxonMobil’s 50% stake in CANGL, thus becoming the owner of 100% of CANGL.
With three daily work shifts, CANGL has a manufacturing capacity of 10,000 MT / year of lubricating greases and 100,000 MT / year of oil blends. Some of CANGL products have the ISO-9001:2008 certification and the API certification, as well as the Fondonorma mark, among other certifications.